2021 National Social Housing Survey – Frequently Asked Questions

Who will survey responses be given to?

Lonergan Research will provide survey responses to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (a national agency for health and welfare statistics and information). The AIHW will provide de-identified survey responses to third parties, such as your state/territory housing authority.

What will survey results be used for?

Results from this survey will be analysed by the AIHW and a report about the results will be published on the AIHW website. The results from previous surveys are available on the AIHW website www.aihw.gov.au. Other government departments will use the information provided to inform service delivery and for their own reporting purposes. Data may be released on request to other third parties for other purposes e.g. for academic research into housing-related social welfare issues.

Do I have to participate?

Participation in the Housing Survey is completely voluntary. However the more people who complete the survey, the more useful the information will be.


Is the information collected confidential?

Yes. The research is carried out in compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 and the information is only used for research purposes. Your personal information has been provided to Lonergan Research by your state/territory housing authority to undertake the survey. Lonergan Research will not release any identifiable data (such as names or addresses) to the AIHW or to any other organisation. All people connected with this survey—from the interviewers to the researchers—must sign a declaration of confidentiality. This means they cannot release any information to anyone on any person responding to this survey that identifies the person.

For more information about privacy issues please go to www.aihw.gov.au/privacy-policy and www.lonerganresearch.com.au/privacy/.


I’m having trouble reading the questionnaire or understanding the questions?

If you require assistance in completing this survey, please ask another member of your household to help you. Alternatively, you can contact Lonergan Research for assistance on:

Telephone: 1800 717 645  OR  Email: housing@lonerganresearch.com.au

I have a problem with my home. What should I do?

If you have a concern about a specific issue, put this aside and think about what each question is asking. Please do not answer all of the questions thinking about this concern.

If you are having a problem with your home, please contact your housing provider directly to let them know. Lonergan Research is unable to pass on any requests for maintenance or repair because this would identify you as a respondent to this survey.

Can I complete the survey online or on my mobile-phone?

You can complete the survey online or on your mobile phone using the logon and password details provided in the box on the letter inviting you to participate in the survey.

I don’t have a computer or access to the internet. What do I do?

Please fill in the paper questionnaire and send this back to us in the reply-paid envelope provided.

Where can I get more information about the National Social Housing Survey?

If you have any questions about the survey please contact Lonergan Research for assistance on:

Telephone: 1800 717 645 OR Email: housing@lonerganresearch.com.au

I do not wish to provide my name and contact details but I wish to complete and return the survey. What do I do?

Providing details is only required for entry into the lottery, you may choose to leave this blank. Also, please be assured that if you do provide your personal details, these details will strictly be used to contact the winners of the lottery and will never be used for any other purpose.